Thursday, 3 January 2013

Beautiful Creatures Review



I picked this up in Foyles, London. I’d heard about it ever since it came out – I remember the raving reviews – but I couldn’t remember what exactly it was about. When I read the blurb, I didn’t think much of it: then I started reading.

I got through this book in less than twenty four hours. It had me hooked. The main character, Ethan, I found to be believable and a great protagonist. I really enjoyed the mystery and intrigue of it, and I found myself especially surprised by the Civil War plot. I honestly didn’t expect that aspect. 

Lena was a good character, I felt. It could have been so easy to make her into somebody unlikable, but I did like her and that’s important. I understood her struggles, and I did enjoy the romantic plot between them. Her family were also wonderful characters, alongside Amma and Ethan's best friend, Link.

I’m not sure how realistic the portrayal of South Carolina was. I’ve never visited, and it all seemed like a very typically Southern depiction. I found it a little strange how obsessed they were with the Confederacy, but I’m aware that it’s a very different culture and history from what I’ve experienced living in Britain, even if I know the history regarding it. It felt real to me, but again I couldn’t say for certain how truthful a depiction it was.

It was very well written. Honestly, when a book comes out involving magic, it’s hard not to associate it with the post-Twilight boom which saw the market going crazy for magic/mythology/supernatural etc. It’s a sad fact, but unfortunately true. However, I feel that Beautiful Creatures does stand on its own as a novel. I enjoyed it. 

Remarkably, as soon as I finished the book I started seeing adverts and trailers for it everywhere. I wasn’t aware they were making it into a film. Honestly, I don’t think I will go see it. In fact, I want to read the series before the film comes out and everybody starts going crazy over it. It’s a fantastic book, but I don’t want to be caught up in the post-film fandom. I’ve already experienced this with the Twilight series and The Hunger Games, and while I enjoyed and followed the books before the films came out, after they came out I found it very hard to enjoy them because of all the media controversy. Which is a shame. But at least it means more people will appreciate Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl’s work. 

I’m looking forward to reading the series. I’ve been searching everywhere for the second in the series, but so far no bookstores I’ve been to have stocked it. I may have to order it over Amazon. But if you are interested, Beautiful Creatures is a good book, and I definitely recommend it if you’re looking for some YA to get lost in (it’s also over five hundred pages, if you’re looking for a long read). 

Have you read Beautiful Creatures, or heard about the film?

8 comments:

  1. I read Beautiful Creatures a long time ago, so I don't remember much. I wasn't that enthralled with it so I didn't pick up the sequels. I do love going to the movies and saw the trailer, which looked to have great effects, so I might go see the film. Haven't made up my mind yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it goes to show that different readers like different things! Maybe if you do go and see the film you'll want to pick it back up again, who knows?

      Delete
  2. I have not, but I will certainly check it out now! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Rebecca! Glad I could help.

      Delete
  3. I read it a few years back but am planning on doing a re-read because I want to read the rest of the series. Looking forward to the movie as well, it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I'm really looking forward to reading the sequels, I hope they will be just as good, if not better, than 'Beautiful Creatures'. I'd love to hear what you think about the film!

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of this book yet, but I understand where you're coming from about not wanting to be caught up in the post-movie fandom. I started reading the Twilight books just before the first movie came out, and was liking it, but once the movie hit the screens... well...

    I only watched The Hunger Games movie recently and was disappointed in it after the hype, although I hadn't read the books. Curious to see how much better the books were, I picked the first one up. I'm five chapters in, but I could see the difference almost immediately.

    I'll have to check out Beautiful Creatures some time. It sounds alright, from what I've read here, and reading something cool before the media hype spoils it because of the movie is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend the books over the film for The Hunger Games. I didn't get on well with the film (I actually found it quite comical when it wasn't meant to be at all...) and a lot of things didn't match my view of the book. The writing is spectacular too, although be warned Mockingjay is a bit of a divider amongst fans. I've found you either love it or you don't, and unfortunately I came on the negative side of that line. However, if you do read the whole series, let me know what you think of Mockingjay!

      I agree! At least then I don't have to be overwhelmed by the fandom and media circus that comes with it all. I really hate that aspect of books being made into films.

      Delete